Sunday, March 16, 2014

12 miles (and Copy-Cat Bitchin' Bars)

I ran 24 miles this week with a 12 mile run yesterday!  Woot woot.  I've officially completed 7 weeks of training.  Wow. 

This week was nice because I finally felt back on my game.  My motivation had been super low the previously two weeks, and every run felt like a struggle.  So I was really relieved to feel good again last week. 

To go with so much running, I have a fun recipe that provides good fuel.  At the farmers market, there's a company that makes this stuff called Bitchin' Sauce and it is to die for.  Holy gee, it is always a party hit.  It's an almond-based dip and it is so, so good.  They also make Bitchin' Bars which are again based on almonds and are kind of like an all-natural power bar.  I've really enjoyed them, but at $5 a pop, I just can't afford to buy them to eat before every run.  So I've made my own copy-cat version!

These are so easy and quite tasty. 



Start by toasting 1/4 cup of pepitas, 1/2 cup of almonds, and a heaping 1/4 cup of pecans. 


While those are going, chop up and de-seed 8 oz of dates.  I usually cut them into fourths.


Add 1/2 cup each of oats and dried, unsweetened coconut to your food processor and top with the toasted mix. 


Process to the consistency you want in your bars- I like my pieces pretty tiny for a smooth bar.  Add 1 tsp of vanilla and the dates and whiz away until the mixture starts balling in on itself. 


Give it a few more spins, then transfer to a sheet of wax paper. Roll out the mixture with another sheet of wax paper on top, and then cut up to make bars. 


I usually shoot for 9 servings.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment