Saturday, January 25, 2014

A New Challenge

So I did something a little crazy, but I'm feeling really pumped about it.  I SIGNED UP FOR A MARATHON!!! (San Diego Rock 'n' Roll, June 1)

Why would any sane person do this, you ask. Well, I need some motivation.

I've never particularly enjoyed working out, but I want to stay fit. And unfortunately, the motivation of training for a half-marathon has faded over the last year, and I've done a poor job training for the last two.  (I'm not sure if I mentioned it here, but I ran the Nike Women's Half in San Francisco in October, and just did the Carlsbad Half last weekend.  Plus the SD Rock 'n' Roll Half in June, and the Women's Half in February.  Wooh! What a year!) So I need a new challenge.

Plus, running a marathon just seems like one of those accomplishments that only a select group of people can achieve, and I want to be part of that club.  So here goes nothing...

I've roped in a friend (possibly two) to run the full with me, and three others to do the half.  So our weekend running group is back in action!  Today we did 6 miles and it wasn't as easy as I had hoped.  So I revisited my training plan.  I was originally shooting to use the Hal Higdon Novice II plan, but I've decided that his Novice I plan is probably the better choice.  I don't want to injure myself and today was hard, so the Novice I plan seems like the way to go.

I hope you will join me on this journey and cheer me on.  I'm going to need all the help I can get...

6 comments:

  1. go for it Lindz! We're behind you, actually in the stands... having a cool drink :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi HH, I followed you here from Jan's blog. Water polo AND dimples??? I just can't take the excitement!
    Good luck re. the training for the Marathon in my 2nd favorite city, on my favorite day of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, just so you don't think I am a complete oddball (well, at least not in my overwhelming enthusiasm re. your water polo career), it is so rare for me to "meet" a female water polo player. I was not one myself, but after my own workout, in a ... related sport, our coach would set up a water polo game, in which we had to wear our t-shirts, warm-up suits, sneakers. Our "ball"? A Crisco covered watermelon. This was so we could "relax" after practice. Yep, good times....

      Delete
    2. That sounds fantastic! (although not terribly relaxing, haha)

      Delete