Thursday, June 20, 2013

Pizza Review: Pizzeria Bruno

Still playing catch up here, but a couple of weeks back, in the ongoing search for the best pizza in San Diego, my friends and I headed over to Pizzeria Bruno.


Now, Courtney and Dana love this place.  Like, very, intensely, love it.  They took me once, and I just didn't get it.  It was a thin crust pizza that was kind of floppy, and the cooks went a little overboard with the wood-fired-pizza-thing because the bottom was burnt.  I was not impressed.

However, after this second trip, I have totally revised my opinion on Brunos!  It was really fantastic (and not at all burnt).  The atmosphere is really nice for a group too- although we had to wait, we eventually got a spacious table for 6, and we could even hear each other talk!  

We started off with some killer bruschetta, which really hit the spot.  So much so, that I almost didn't get a picture of it. :)


To follow, we ordered the Diavolo (with mushrooms), per Courtney and Dana's recommendation, the Lasagne, per Sharon and because it sounded awesome, and a Margherita to see if they really know how to make pizza. (The answer is yes, yes they do.)


The Diavolo: Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Pepperoni, Garlic, Goat Peppers (with Mushrooms)

The Lasange: Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Ricotta, Prosciutto Cotto (Italian Ham) Reggiano
And a good ol' Margherita pizza: Tomato Sauce, Fresh Mozzarella, Basil, Olive Oil
My personal favorite was the Lasange, but I think each pizza got a few votes to its name.  Thin crust pizza isn't my favorite, but the crust was excellent.  There was a good balance of sauce and toppings and crust, and although it was a little saggier than I'd prefer, it worked well.  And if you asked Dana and Courtney, it's the best pizza in San Diego.  (I'll be curious to see if we can find anything else to sway them away from Brunos- they've remained loyal, so far.) The rest of the group was on board as well.  Three cheers for Brunos!

Next in line: Berkeley's Pizza at Sharon's house!







1 comment:

  1. Can't beat a Freedies Pizza. Alas, they are gone, nevermore....

    ReplyDelete