Tuesday, May 14, 2013

10 miles

T-3 weeks until the Rock and Roll Half Marathon!

Training has been so much better this time around.  It's cool, because I have the added confidence before every long run of knowing that I've done it before.  And the shorter runs during the week are getting easier too.  It's much less of an "event" to run 3 miles on a week day.  It's fun to see how far I've come since the Color Run back in November where I had to walk toward the end of the 5k.  Now, I generally don't run less than a 5k when I head out.  I guess persistence does pay off. :)

This past Saturday, I ran 10 miles.  Last time around, I didn't run more than 8 miles before the race, so running 10 miles is the second furthest I've ever run! I'm trying to get race-ready, so I'm practicing eating the right food before and during my long runs and wearing the clothes I'll race in.


Saturday morning, I got up early to eat my oatmeal and then crawled back in bed for another hour.  That's the only downside to morning runs- trying to leave time to digest before you go out is a little more difficult then for runs later in the day. I grabbed some Cliff Shot Bloks to take with me after I woke up the second time and headed out.


Eating while running is kind of hard- I find myself panting to catch my breath after chewing.  Fortunately, even though these Bloks are like giant fruit snacks, they only require a few good chews before I can swallow them.  Which is good, because I like breathing.

I planned to do two loops around the park (all by myself).  I felt fantastic during the first loop (about 6 miles) and then I came to this awful hill that totally drained me.  Plus it was already about 80 degrees outside which was killer.  Although I find loops super boring and I get frustrated running over the same path, I knew I would appreciate being near the many water fountains of the park while I ran.  I even found a secret water fountain (I guess it was just a secret to me), but it made my life better when I was really getting hot.

The second loop was hard, I won't lie.  There were some solid walking breaks, but I ran the entire last mile and finished under 2 hours, which was my goal.

The best part of the run was coming home to my new air conditioner!  The cat still doesn't quite know what to make of it.



So sweaty!
I wanted to keep my legs from tightening up, so I grabbed my purse and headed back out to walk over to Bread and Cie to get some coffee.  And maybe a cookie too...


So good!

I had a really nice dinner with my aunt and my dad who was visiting from NorCal later that night.  We went to 100 Wines which I think is in my top three favorite places to eat in San Diego.  We ordered the crispy cauliflower with a balsamic reduction which never fails to impress me.


They display their food so beautifully!

We ended the meal with a dessert called the Menage a Trois which came with three little samplers of chocolate cake, peanut brittle, and a pot au creme.  The manager came over before our order arrived and told us how good the chocolate cake was.  As she left our table, she said "Enjoy your menage a trois!" which is a super awkward thing to hear when you're with your dad and aunt...

It was great seeing my dad (my parents need to visit more!) and the dinner was a great end to the day.  Next weekend will be a similar long-running, family-time couple of days.  It's my sister's graduation from college and I somehow need to fit in an 11 mile run- eek!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment