Saturday, April 27, 2013

Grandma Jane's Jam Filled Cookies

When I was in undergrad, my grandma Jane sent me a box of her jam-filled cookies- it made my week.  I remember that my dad was really jealous- "She hasn't made me those cookies in years!!"

My grandma had the most beautiful handwriting- something I, sadly, did not inherit.
Grandma Jane's Jam Filled Cookies

1/2 cup shortening (like Crisco)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

From my grandma's recipe:  Cream shortening and sugar; add eggs and beat well.  Add sifted dry ingredients- mix thoroughly. Chill.  [I refrigerated the dough over night after rolling it into a ball and covering it with plastic wrap.]

Roll 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured board.


Cut with round cookie cutter. [I used a wine glass, but my cookies ended up being HUGE.]  Place light filling on half of cookies.  Top with remaining rounds.


[I used a bunch of different jams (and then felt required to eat a bunch of different cookies to try all the different flavors, which couldn't be identified from the outside of the cookie...).]


[Side note: they sell Jackie's Jams at our local farmers market, and I'm totally obsessed.  I used Strawberry Rhubarb and Mango Raspberry in the cookies.  I also love their Pumpkin Jam and I destroyed a jar of their Apricot Jam just this past week- so good!]

Press edges together with a fork.  Bake on a greased cookie sheet- 400 degrees- 10 min.  Prick-slash tops before baking.



[As you can see from the picture above, these puppies expand like crazy in the oven.  My pre-baked cookies appeared to be the right size- I just wasn't prepared for them to double in the oven! I would try using a champagne glass to cut the cookies next time (or actually buy a small circular cookie cutter).]

Baking these cookies will always make me think of my grandma.  I'm so glad she shared the recipe with me.  Thanks Grandma Jane!




1 comment:

  1. you better be sending me some! They're my cookies!

    ReplyDelete