Sunday, April 7, 2013

Eggs Benedict Casserole

Hi, I'm Lindsey.  I used to post on this blog back in the day.  I guess it's been a while...

I spent Easter this year with my aunt and her family.  My sister came down too, so our poor parents were left with no one to hide Easter eggs for this year.  (And yes, even though we're 28 and 22, they still hide Easter eggs for us!)  I was excited to spend a little more time with my family down here and to take advantage of how close we live together.

My cousins' kids
 I was also excited to join my aunt's egg hunt- she hides cash! 

The grown-up egg hunt (we had a separate hunt for the kids)

This is what happens when you don't find the eggs from the year before- you get moldy dollars!
I was the big winner and found 2 golden eggs for a total of $20! Score!
 
For our brunch, I wanted to make Emily's berry crumble since it's vegan and gluten free (as are some of my cousins), but since it has almond meal in it, I had to skip it because my other cousins are allergic to nuts!  So I decided to go with the Eggs Benedict Casserole that my mom made for Easter last year which is neither vegan nor gluten free.  Oh well- you can't win them all.

Eggs Benedict Casserole

For the casserole:
6 English muffins
10 oz Canadian bacon
8 eggs + 4 egg whites
2 cups milk
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika

For the Hollandaise sauce:
1/2 cup butter
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Spray a 9 x 13 in pan (or something of a similar size) with cooking oil. Cut up the English muffins and Canadian bacon into bite size pieces (about 1 in squares).



Spread the pieces evenly in the pan.


Whisk the eggs and egg whites (set aside the yolks for the hollandaise sauce) and then add in the milk and onion powder. 


Add the egg mix to the bread and bacon.


Place the casserole in the refrigerator overnight so that the muffins can absorb the eggs.

You can either make the sauce when you prepare the casserole or make it the next day.  I made it the night before and just reheated it while the casserole was cooking at my aunt's house.  Start by microwaving the butter in a microwavable bowl/measuring cup for 1 minute or until almost melted.  Stir until the rest of the butter is melted.  In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks. 


Once they are well-mixed, add the yolks to the butter along with the cream and lemon juice. Whisk thoroughly.  Microwave the sauce for 2 minutes, stopping every 20 seconds to stir.


I doubled the sauce recipe (which I don't think is necessary- we had so much extra sauce!), so a 2 cup measuring container is probably big enough- with the doubled recipe, I probably should have found something bigger...

If you're making the sauce the night before, wait for it to cool down, then cover it with plastic wrap and pop it in the refrigerator. 

The next day, sprinkle the paprika over the casserole, cover it with foil, and cook it in a preheated (375 degrees) oven for 40 minutes. 


When it's done, remove the foil and return to the oven for another 20 minutes.  The bacon should get crispy and the eggs should brown slightly. Meanwhile, if you made the sauce the night before, microwave it for 3 minutes, stirring once- but don't let it boil. 

Cut up the casserole into squares once it has cooled and serve with the Hollandaise sauce.  I got about 20 pieces out of mine, but you can cut the pieces as large or as small as you like.


Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment