Saturday, March 2, 2013

San Diego Women's Half-Marathon

I did it!  I ran an entire half-marathon- without stopping. :)

And, man, did it hurt!  I cracked up when they sent out the final results because I averaged 11 min/mile for the first 10 miles, but the last 3 miles took me 14 minutes a piece.  Killer.

The night before the race, our team went out for a pasta dinner.  So fun!  I love carbo-loading. :)

We got to the race around 5:45am (for a 6:30 start time) and met up with our team.  It was pretty cold so we huddled near the VIP area that had heat lamps.

There weren't as many people as I thought there would be, which was actually pretty nice. We lined up in our corrals and they even did the national anthem.  (Side story: it has taken me years to get over the panic attacks that the national anthem used to induce in me.  When I was a synchronized swimmer, they always used to play the national anthem right before we competed in finals, and so for years I associated the song with staring down at the pool and feeling major fear and anxiety.  Even after I quit, I'd hear it at other sporting events and feel my stomach twist. Thank you half-marathon planners for bringing back that association.)

When the race started, I felt fantastic.  I was in new, awesome running clothes (the shirt had a pocket for my iphone complete with a little hole for the cord of my ear phones to come out and a little clasp at the back of the neck to hold the cord in place- so cool!), I had some cliff shot blocks in my pocket, and some good music going. 

The new running outfit- I'm a believer in the "technologically advanced fabrics" now.

I felt really strong for the first 6 miles.  I spent a lot of time thinking about how cool it was to feel good running 6 miles when I had started this journey feeling like crap after 1 mile. And when the results came in, I saw that I had beaten my 10k time from the turkey trot (1:09.25 down to 1:09.04) even though I still had another 7 miles to go!   

Mile 7 was when it started getting a little more challenging, but I still felt pretty good until around mile 10.  That was when the 2:30 pace group passed me, which was super discouraging, although the race time was not my goal.  I somehow kept running (although it wasn't pretty) and made my way to the finish line.  I got pretty choked up when I finished and got my medal- I'm such a crier.

I waddled (so much pain!) over to meet up with the rest of my team who all had great races as well. 

We went out to brunch to celebrate and then I took a really great nap. Dana, Vanessa, and I went and got our nails done later that afternoon to reward ourselves.  I only got 19 nails painted...

Then I got to take my friends to my favorite bakery in my 'hood.

I'm totally obsessed with this place- it's become a weekend morning ritual for me.  Love, love, love their bread, and they give you a cookie with your coffee!

So the question is, would I do the whole half-marathon thing again?  Answer: heck ya.  Dana and I actually just signed up for the Rock and Roll Half-Marathon in June.  Pretty much right when I finished the race, I started thinking how nice it would be to train for another half starting with the base I have now, as opposed to having no running base to start from, like I did for this race.  And I should probably try to run more than 8 miles before this race as well... ;)  So I'm excited to see how much better I can feel if I keep this up.  I felt so proud to run 13.1 miles, and I'm hoping it gets easier from here.


  1. wait, you're allowed to listen to music when you race?? half the reason I've never signed up for any races is because I thought you couldn't listen to music!

  2. Congratulations! Huge accomplishment!