Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Best Dinner Rolls EVER

As promised, here is a recipe for the Best Dinner Rolls EVER.  My mom has been making these for years, and they are definitely a staple of our Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas tables.


Best Dinner Rolls EVER
from www.ourbestbites.com

2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup butter
2 tsp salt
2 packages active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water
8-9 cups flour
3 eggs

In a pot, combine the milk, 1/2 cup sugar, butter, and salt.  Heat over medium until melty and delicious.


Next it's super important to cool this mixture down to avoid killing the yeast.  You'll have flats instead of rolls if you kill all your yeast. :) I used a bowl of water with ice, but you could just throw the pot in the fridge too.


While that's cooling, combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water together.  Nerd Alert: What you're doing here is feeding the yeast.  The yeast takes the sugar and breaks it down into ethanol and carbon dioxide.  So if you've got happy yeast (which is the goal), you'll see bubbling (the CO2) and smell the ethanol (kind of smells like beer-same process).  The warm water keeps the yeast comfortable.  This should all be happening within 10 minutes.


Get out a big bowl and combine the milk mixture (which you should probably test with your finger for temperature and then lick off because it's delicious) with 3 cups of flour. 


Beat and then add in the yeast and beat some more.  I use a hand mixer because I don't have a stand mixer.  (Can you tell what my favorite kitchen color is?)

 
Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.


And then add them to the flour/milk bowl and beat some more.

Next you're going to slowly add flour until you get a sticky dough that holds together. I kept using the hand mixer until about cup 5 of the flour when this happened:


The dough snuck up the mixers and was threatening to get into the body of the tool when I turned it off.  I moved on to a wooden spoon for cups 6-7, but then it got too thick and I just went at it with my hands.  Best way to mix!

Once you feel good about the consistency, cover the bowl with a dish towel and stick it someplace warm (and away from pets).  Let it rise for an hour.  Why does it rise, you ask? Well, if the yeast is doing its job, it should be turning the flour into carbon dioxide.  So your dough expands as the gas fills up the little pockets everywhere.

After an hour, it should look like this:


Punch down the dough- get out that stress!  Divide the dough in half...


And then roll out each half and divide into 12 pieces. 


If things are getting sticky, flour your hands, your work surface, and/or the dough.

Roll up your pieces into nice balls and spread them evenly in a greased 9 x 13 pan.


Cover them again, and allow them to rise for 30 more minutes.  I only have one 9 x 13 pan, so I stuck the second half of the dough back in the fridge.  I did the same thing (roll the dough into balls, allowed them to rise) after the pan had cooled off some.

Next it's time to bake!  Pop them in the oven (375 degrees) for 15-18 minutes.  My oven tends to take longer, so I cooked them for 20 minutes.  They turn a nice golden color, so look for that to judge when they're done.


Lastly, take out a stick of cold butter, and rub over the tops of the rolls while they're hot.  Then eat one.  Or three.

I took these to my Friends-Giving celebration and they were a hit.  The best part?  While I circled looking for parking (for like 30 min!), my car smelled soooo delicious.  I didn't even mind the lack of parking. :)

Anyway, make these soon- you will not regret it.  They are great for big holiday gatherings, but I also love them as left-overs in the morning after 20 sec in the microwave.  Super tasty.  


P.S. Are you getting excited for the give away yet?  It's coming...











1 comment:

  1. These look amazing! And we have the same mixer :)

    ReplyDelete