Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 Reflections

As 2012 comes to an end, I want to take some time to look back on the year.

January:
My cousin Dana and her family came to visit in San Francisco.  We had a fantastic day in the city and we got to walk around Pier 39.  Luke pet a pigeon.  It was awesome.

Dad, Luke, cousin Tim, and Max
February:
I celebrated Mardi Gras in not-New Orleans for the 3rd year in a row.  I got the flu, but tried to throw a party anyway.  I felt awful the whole time- but my jambalaya was a hit!

March:
I went to a Counting Crows concert with Nena- so fun!

April:
I took the Professional Engineer (PE) licensing exam which I spent 6 months studying for!  It was so exciting to get it over with (even if they did screw up the printing of the test so that we had to take one part of it again in June).


I also finally got to see one of the project sites that I had been working on for two years!


Mandy drove me to the kickoff meeting for the project, and on the way there, we got two flat tires!  My mom always insists on changing out of her pjs even if we're just making a short trip and it's super early, but now Mandy and I understand, after Mandy had to go get the tires changed in boxers and no bra.



May:
Kat came to visit and we went to Napa for an awesome day of wine tasting. We took a shuttle up and got to take the ferry back.  It was my first time on the ferry!
At work, we won a big project that I had been working on and I volunteered to move to Southern California because I thought it would be a good opportunity.  I made three trips down, found a place to live, and moved by the end of the month!

My friends helped me pack up the Uhaul and we ate pizza in the empty apartment.  So sad to leave that place.


I also coached my last group of swimmers (at least for the time being).


June:
A week after moving, I went back to Boston for my 5 year college reunion!  It was so fun to see old friends and the campus. Standing at 77 Mass Ave brought back so many memories.


And so did seeing all these wonderful people (plus more)!
 
Clockwise from top left: Professor Madsen and some of his current students, my roommates from Senior year, Andy and Linda- my good, good lifeguard friends, Dre and Tim the beaver, and of course, Kate!



 When I got back, my new roommate moved in...

Amazing how small she was then! 

July:
In July, we lost my grandpa.  He had been sick for a while, but it was still such a surprise to me and really hard.  It made me really homesick.  I went home and we had a nice service for him and it was good to be with family during that time.  But I still miss him a lot.


While I was home, I got to go hang out with some of my friends from high school down in Carmel.  They sent me this awesome picture as enticement to come down.


I also found out that week that I had passed the PE!  I'm a Professional Engineer!

August:
I spent some good quality time with my Southern California family when we made jam.


September:
I flew up north once again to go to a birthday party for one of my northern cousins.  It was a great weekend in the woods surrounded by family.


At work, I spent a lot of time in my boots.  It was nice to be out of the office and in the field, getting muddy and muddier.
 
October:
The craziest month all year.  Work was nuts, and more nuts. It was pretty much all I did.

November:
In November, I did the Color Run with my new coworker friends.

 
And then I went to Phoenix to visit Kat and Mary! Such a nice reunion!


Mandy turned 22 this year and to celebrate her friends and I surprised her and took her to Medieval Times.  We had a blast!


On Thanksgiving, I ran the Turkey Trot- my first 10k.  And then I ate a lot.  And got in some good family time.


December:
There has been a lot of cooking this month.  And a lot of eating.  Sadly, the pictures are all still on my camera, and my camera cord is not where I am at the moment.  But those will come later.

I had a lovely Christmas- got a Cuisinart food processor AND a handy-me-down Kitchen Aid mixer.  I am SO excited.  But I also got to give my family a really special gift- we're going to go to Ireland next year!  It's something we've all wanted to do for a long time, and now it's finally going to happen!   

I wish you all a happy and healthy New Year!  And may your 2012 reflections be as full of happy memories as mine.

















No comments:

Post a Comment