Sunday, November 18, 2012

Eggplant Lasagna

I went to the farmers' market last week with my coworker Dana and we both bought eggplants!  I had never cooked with one before (or even eaten one- they kind of scare me).  I mean, it's purple!?


But, in my continuing attempt to eat more vegetables, I decided to give it a shot.  Dana and I talked to the lady at the eggplant booth for a while, and she suggested roasting it with olive oil, so I decided to give that a try.  I had also heard that eggplant lasagna is pretty good, so this is my version of that.


Eggplant Lasagna ala Lindsey

1 eggplant
olive oil for drizzling
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
15 oz tomato sauce
15 oz petite diced tomatoes
basil
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and then some...




Cut the end off of the eggplant and peel it.  Slice it into 1/2 in thick circles.  Drizzle with olive oil, top with parmesan, and cook at 400 degrees for about 50 minutes, flipping once.


I thought it was kind of weird that there's no sign of purple in the vegetable after you peel it- I had kind of hoped the purple went all the way through...

Anyway, while the eggplant is finishing up, combine the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and salt and pepper in a pot on the stove.  Heat through and add fresh basil from your garden if you have it.

Sorry it's fuzzy- one handed picture!
 
By now your eggplant should look like this:


Num num num!  Resist the urge to eat it right away.

Now it's time to layer.  Pour some of the tomato mixture into your baking pan of choice.  Then add a layer of eggplant.


Now hopefully you've got your mozzarella ready to go.


Add a layer of cheese.


Now rinse and repeat until all of your ingredients are gone (don't actually rinse)...


 Pop it back in the oven until the cheese is melty and looks delicious.


 Then enjoy!  Eggplant's not so bad after all...






No comments:

Post a Comment