Saturday, October 6, 2012

Juicin'

I think I'm in love.  He's tall, dark, and handsome,


and makes me the sweetest things.


For him, I'll even eat my vegetables!




It's my new juicer, and if you can't tell, I'm pretty excited about it.


The first day I juiced, I pretty much threw whatever I had in the kitchen into my drink.  I made a celery, strawberry, orange juice, and it wasn't half bad.  I attempted to put some frozen kale into the juicer, but it mostly kicked it out into the pulp-catcher.  I think frozen is not the way to go.



I went grocery shopping with my juicer in mind and bought a lot of things I'm pretty excited to juice.  More strawberries, apples, grapes, greens, carrots, and ginger!


I made what should have been a nice juice with one apple, two carrots, and about an inch of ginger (with some greens of course!)  To be honest, I'm not totally sure what you can throw in the juicer and what you can't, so I went ahead and threw the ginger in without peeling it.  The juice kind of had a dirt taste to it, and I'm guessing it's because I didn't peel the ginger.  I actually didn't taste ginger at all! Just dirt :-/


The next day I tried peeling the ginger first and that made all the difference!

Peeled ginger!
I've also started throwing a quarter lemon in any combo and it makes it taste so fresh and good.  I also like adding some fizzy water to my juices.  It makes the juice go further and the carbonation is fun.  Juicing is just fun in general!


And I'm a huge nerd for the pretty fluid mechanics- check out those layered colors!




Check out the sinking green juice...


I had Mandy over a few weeks back and I insisted we juice.  She was a little wary of adding vegetables, but I made her do it.  She thought it was pretty fun though.


When it was time to drink it, she was skeptical, but I made her smile for the picture anyway.


She tried it...



...and declared it, "not bad."


I'll take that as a win. 

My only juicing complaint is that it seems like a lot of the fruits and veggies are getting lost in the pulp bin.  And it's gross to clean.  It wouldn't be a big deal if I had a sink disposal, but alas, I do not.  So I have to pull out most of the pulp and throw it in the trash.  And in my hot, hot house, the pulp gets funky REALLY fast, so I'm taking out the trash every other day.  Annoying.



But really, it's too much fun, so I'm willing to deal with the mess.  And it makes a great breakfast that is filling and healthy.  I love being able to eat so many vegetables in a quick and tasty way!

And of course, you're random cat picture of the day: Cat in a bag!









No comments:

Post a Comment