Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Good-Lookin' Breakfasts

When I go to bed at night, I think about what I'm going to have for breakfast the next day.  And when I wake up?  I'm still thinking about breakfast.

Overnight oats with strawberries, raspberries, almond butter, homemade jam, and chia seeds.

It's my favorite meal!  (Isn't it everyone's?  I feel like I've never heard anyone say, "Lunch is my favorite meal...")

Sometimes (a lot of times) I make overnight oats:
     1/3 cup rolled oats
     1/3 cup greek yogurt
     1/3 cup almond milk
     Mix the night before and stick in the fridge until the next morning.

Overnight oats with strawberries, sunbutter, crunchy cereal, and chia seeds.
In the morning, I'll top my oats with some combination of berries, nut butters, apple butter, jam, crunchy cereal, granola, and/or chia seeds.

Overnight oats with raspberries, Better'n Peanut Butter, apple butter, and chia seeds.
Other mornings I'll make real oatmeal in my rice cooker.  I can set the timer the night before so it's done when I wake up.  Or I'll start it and go for a run and by the time I'm back and showered, breakfast is served!


I've been on a pumpkin oatmeal kick:
     1/2 cup steel cut oats
     1/2 cup canned pumpkin
     1 3/4 cup water
     1/4 tsp allspice
     1/4 tsp ground cloves
     1/4 tsp nutmeg
     Cook on porridge setting.  Serves 2.


Oops, wrong pumpkin picture.

Pumpkin oatmeal with Better'n Peanut Butter mixed in and chia seeds on top
 Now there's the pumpkin oatmeal! 
 
Pumpkin oatmeal with apple and almond butter.
I keep expecting pumpkin to have some sort of taste, but it doesn't really.  Thus the spices and added nut butter and jams.  I've been adding a little maple syrup lately to make it sweet.  Delicious!

If I'm not at home, I've discovered that the Coffee Bean makes a mean oatmeal.  You get to pick what goes in it and they make it right in front of you!

Oatmeal with bananas, granola, and brown sugar on top.  My oatmeal-maker was a real artiste!
 Other mornings, when I'm feeling like I need a veggie breakfast, I make smoothies.


It never fails to amaze me how greens are so unnoticeable in my smoothies!  Yay for eating vegetables that don't taste like vegetables!


 Then there are the juicing mornings...


...because juicing is fun!

And lastly, if I'm feeling really classy, I put together my little breakfast sandwich:
     Toast/English Muffin
     Hummus
     Spinach
     1 or 2 fried eggs
     Layer your sandwich in the order above, and you're good to go!


 I want to eat that picture right now...


 Guess what I'm going to make for breakfast tomorrow?  Check out that gooey egg goodness!









1 comment:

  1. Looks good. Did you get a special on 50lb. sack of chai seeds? hahah

    ReplyDelete