Saturday, September 15, 2012

Orange chili millet

I've been slacking on cooking meals for myself, so I got it together today and made something that would last for a few meals.  I've been experimenting with different grains, and I've found I really like millet.  The orange and chili in this really make a nice mix, and of course, the avocado is a fantastic addition.


Orange Chili Millet
By Lindsey
Makes 4-6 servings

1/2 cup millet
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp chili powder
1 can of black beans
1 can of crushed tomatoes
1 avocado

To prepare the millet, either rinse it or toast it for a deeper nutty flavor. I used my rice cooker to cook the millet, but you could definitely cook it over a stove as well.  In the rice cooker, I combined the millet, orange juice, and water and gave it a stir.


The kitten supervised from atop the fridge.


I mixed in the cinnamon and chili powder as well and chose the white rice cook setting.


If you're cooking the millet on the stove, bring the liquid mix to a boil and then add the grain.  Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.  If you used the rice cooker, hang out for a while! (60 min) 


When the millet is about done cooking, drain the black beans and cube the avocado. 




Once the millet has cooled slightly, add the beans, tomatoes, and avocado. 


Now you're ready to go!  Serve hot or cold- it's good either way!






2 comments:

  1. Your kitten is such a nut!
    Looks yummy -- where did you get your rice cooker. I need one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my rice cooker from Amazon. It's the Zojirushi NS-TGC10 Micom 5-1/2-Cup Rice Cooker and Warmer, Stainless Steel. i love it!

      Delete