Monday, September 17, 2012

Going to L.A.

I've been meaning to write this post for a while, but time just got away from me!  A few weeks ago, I got to go up to L.A. for a staff meeting in our office there.  I hadn't been to that office yet, so it was cool to see and meet the others in our Southern California group.

But what I was most excited about was taking the train there!  My boss told me to get a business class ticket so that we could work on the presentation we were going to give.  Business class has outlets and internet- not sure if the rest of the train does, but it was very nice.

They even had snacks!


I was pretty pumped to drink my free coffee and eat my free danish.  Although I've been working as a professional for two years now, I still have moments like this where I feel very grown up.  And like I'm faking it.  But I guess you just have to fake it until you make it. :)

On the way there, we passed over a bunch of the lagoons we work on and traveled right up the coast along the ocean. (The pictures are a little blurry, but we were moving.)



The conductor even announced at one point that they had spotted a whale.  Seriously?!  You can go whale-watching on your commute to work?!  What kind of place is this?!!


Although it was super early (6:15 train!), I really enjoyed watching the sun rise and light up the sky.  So pretty.


We even went over (the very sad looking) L.A. river.



Once we arrived in L.A., we took the subway to near our other office.  I find the city to be very overwhelming, so I was happy to be traveling with my boss who had been to the office before.  I still felt pretty stressed by the time we got off the subway.  Too many people in my space, I think.

Before the staff meeting, we had another meeting with our client and the other contractor on our big project.  We met them all at the contractors' office.  They had a fantastic view, and I'm bummed I didn't get a picture of it.

But while my boss met with the important people, I was in charge of going through some files to see if the other contractor had any reports that might help out our work.  I was led to this cubicle.  Ugh.


While I was discouraged at not finding any relevant reports, I did find this fantastic old photo with a caption I found really funny.


I saw some reports that were as old as me and had photos literally taped to blank sheets of paper.  It felt like going back in time.

After about an hour and a half of finding nothing, it was time to go to our staff meeting.  I presented a little about myself since I'm new to the region and I talked about some of the modeling work I've done.  I was a little nervous, but I think it went well.

Later that day, my sister Mandy picked me up and drove me down to Orange where she's starting her Senior year of college.  We had dinner at one of her local favorites and I introduced her to brussel sprouts.  I'm not sure she's totally sold on them yet, but she didn't spit them out or anything.  And how could you?!  They had bacon in them!

Mandy dropped me back off at the train station in Anaheim.  It's actually in the same parking lot as the Angels stadium.  There was a game going on, so I listened to the cheers as I waited for my train.

On the ride home, I got more free treats, including wine!  What a way to travel!


It was a super long day, and I had to go to work the next morning, but it was nice to switch up my normal routine.  Hopefully there will be more free coffee and free wine trips to L.A. in my future!






1 comment: