Saturday, August 4, 2012

Impressive Potato Salad

So I'm at the beginning of a thing with a guy.  I don't want to go into it much because it's new and I don't want to curse it.  But he's having a BBQ.  And he asked me to make potato salad.

I don't even like potato salad.

I like potatoes, and mayonnaise in very small (almost unnoticeable quantities).  I can't stand mustard and I don't enjoy pickles, both of which are often in potato salad.  So for the most part, I've always just avoided the dish.  It scares me.

But I like to cook and I think I'm decently good at it.  I also like this guy.  So I want to make an impressive potato salad that I'd like to eat (and others would too!).  Here's what I've got:

Impressive Potato Salad
By Lindsey
Makes 8 servings

4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 in chunks
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/2 pack of powdered ranch dressing mix
1 bell pepper chopped
1/2 sweet onion finely chopped
2 hard-boiled eggs chopped
salt
pepper

In a large pot, cover the potatoes with water.  Bring to a boil, then cover and cook for 12-14 minutes. 


You can also boil your eggs now if you haven't already.  I place the eggs in cold water and bring them to a boil.  Then cover and turn the heat down all the way.  After 10 minutes, try to cool the eggs as quickly as possible- this will make them easier to peel!

Chop up your bell pepper and onion if you haven't already.  Aren't these bowls cute?


Mix up the mayo, yogurt, and ranch in a small bowl.


When the times up, drain the potatoes and cool those eggs (see the ice?)


After you chop the eggs, add them to the yogurt-mayo-ranch mix.


Combine the peppers, onion, potatoes, and wet mix in a big bowl. Stir up to coat evenly.  Add salt and pepper to taste. Ta-da!


So I don't know if actual potato-salad-eaters will think this is impressive- I'll let you know. But I think it tasts good AND it's pretty healthy (Spark People calculates 1 serving as 131 calories, 2 g fat, 23 g carbs, and 5 g protein).  I'm pretty happy I have something to bring to the BBQ now.  And if no one likes this, it'll be okay- I'm bringing rice krispy treats too, and there is no denying their deliciousness!



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was (pretty much) a hit. They finally admitted it could have used a little more salt and pepper.

      Delete