Sunday, August 12, 2012

Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos

A few months ago, I discovered weight watchers' grilled, stuffed jalapenos recipe and I fell in love.  At first, I was making a batch every week, but now I've toned it down- I make them every other week or so. :)  I just can't stop eating these delicious treats!


So last week when I went to the farmers market, I couldn't help but get excited at the sight of so many new peppers!


They didn't have any jalapenos, so I ended up trying to make the recipe with Hungarian hot wax peppers and what I think were poblanos (anyone recognize the peppers above?)  I also picked up some awesome heirloom bell peppers.


So pretty, right?

Grilled, Stuffed Jalapenos
(Adapted from Weight Watchers)

12 large jalapenos
1/2 cup low fat cream cheese
6 tbsp low fat shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp paprika
salt to taste

While Hungarian wax and poblano peppers aren't very hot, jalapenos are, so choose your peppers wisely.  The smaller they are, the hotter! (Although I always think I'm a big, spicy food lover, I prefer not burning my face off, so I try to grab the biggest jalapenos in the store).



Cut a slice out of each pepper and remove the seeds.




I use a melon baller to get the seeds out.  Avoid touching the seeds and make sure to wash your hands after you're done, if you don't want accidental eye-burning when you casually rub your eyes later that night.





For the poblanos, I cut them in half first, and then scooped out the seeds.



Next, mix all of the remaining ingredients together.


Really stir it up so that the cream cheese becomes smooth and everything is well mixed.

I left out the cilantro in this batch.
Spoon the delicious cheesy mix into the peppers and pop them on the grill.  I generally use my George Foreman grill, but I've made them on a real, outdoor grill before and they had a nice, smokier taster.


Grill the peppers for 3-4 minutes until they have nice grill lines.


Lastly, try not to eat them all in one sitting.  It's hard, I know, but they will be so good as a side in your lunch tomorrow!




A note:  I was super disappointed with the Hungarian wax and poblano peppers.  They just weren't hot enough, so the cheesy mix didn't really do the same cooling job it does with the jalapenos.  And I thought they tasted funny in general, but maybe it's because I'm just not familiar with them yet.  But I would recommend you stick with the jalapenos- they're the real winners in this recipe.  Just look at that picture above!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment