Saturday, July 14, 2012

Welcome to my garden!

When I was in undergrad, my friends made fun of me for my crazy love for the couple of plants I had in my dorm room.  I did love those plants- in the freezing winters of Boston, I always had a little bit of life in my cold, brick room.

Flash forward to last year when I was living in San Francisco.  I started out in a room next to the fire escape and saw huge gardening opportunities ;)  My plants could even look out at Russian Hill and the bay.


People told me I would never grow a tomato (or a pepper) in the SF fog.  I always love a challenge


Then I moved to the other room in our apartment and got my very own greenhouse-nook!  Obviously, the tomatoes came with me.


Now that I'm in Socal, I have my plants outside.  I really wanted to find an apartment with a little yard where I could garden, but I didn't have any luck with that.  So instead, my garden sits in the middle of our parking area in pots.
 






I've got my herbs (oregano, mint, and thyme in front, with basil and lavendar in the back),



 my tomatoes (they came in the uhaul from SF with me),


some flowers (bougainvillea),


cucumbers,


pumpkins, melons, and zucchini,



my cacti collection,


and the baby plants (edamame, mint, and some peppers).


I grew a lot of these from seeds after the Great Aphid Attack of 2011.  I'll have to write about that and my hatred for those gross little bugs another time.  But the GAA2011 taught me to check any plants I buy really carefully to make sure I'm not bringing something home with me that I don't want.  And starting plants from seeds is an easy way to avoid the problem.

Right now in my kitchen, I've started some corn, black-eyed susans, sunflower, and pepper seeds.  I saw one of the black-eyed susans pop up this week, so I'm excited to see what else will start sending up shoots in the next few days.

Maybe now would be a good time to introduce you to my roommate, Fiona.


She's showing a real interest in gardening these days.





No comments:

Post a Comment