Sunday, July 22, 2012

Summer Lemonade

Yesterday, I had planned to run from my house through Balboa park on a route I had seen recommended on Map My Run.  I knew the pride parade was happening, but from the website it looked like I could still run my planned route.  I also wanted to see some of the parade if I could too.  I walked the two or three blocks from my house to the parade route and it was already underway.  It brought me back to my Mardi Gras days from when I was living in New Orleans

Mardi Gras, 2009

Mardi Gras, 2009

I was really impressed to see how many people were out yesterday!


I was also impressed with the footwear some of the paraders had on!


I really enjoyed this float advertising one of the local bars.


But these giant, blow-up couples were my favorite. (They had two men too).


After I left the parade, I made my way into the park.  At the end of my route before I turned back around to make my way home, I saw an iced lemonade stand.  It was really hot, and seeing as this was my second run in many, many months (and I am very out of shape), I really wished that I had some money on me.  I decided that to reward myself for my efforts, I would have to find a healthier alternative that I could make for myself.  And today I did!

Very Berry Lemonade

2 cups Trader Joe's Very Cherry Berry Blend (or another type of frozen berries)
1 large (makes 2 qts) pack Crystal Light Lemonade
2 qts (8 cups) water 

Pour the Crystal Light into the blender and add 8 cups of water.  Blend a couple of times to mix.  


My blender just barely holds 8 cups, so to make room for the berries, I poured some of the lemonade into an ice cube tray to make lemonade cubes.  These will be so good later!


Then I added the berries to the blender and blended until I got to a consistency I liked. 


This is such a delicious summer treat- I'm already on my second glass!






No comments:

Post a Comment