Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fresh starts

Today I started a blog. I also joined a running club. And I made my mom's corn salad, which is oh so good.

I've been reading this blog, Daily Garnish, and I got kind of inspired to start my own.  In fact, I've become sort of addicted to reading food/health/exercise blogs.  It's what I do while I eat lunch at work. (And when I eat the bag of chips I shouldn't have bought from the downstairs cafe but did an hour or so after I ate my lunch).  So here I am, blogging.

As for joining the running club, that was also probably the result of reading the blog above.  I've always sort of wanted to be the type of person who runs (and enjoys it).  My good friend Trica is a runner- apparently, if you run enough, you start to like it.  This is crazy to me, but I thought I'd give it a try.  I'm also joining the club because it's a social running club and I have no friends.  Wait, I should explain that: I have lots of great, awesome friends (like Tricia), but none of them live within about 400 miles of me.  So, I have no friends here. Yet.  Thus the club.  Apparently they drink after they run, which sounds like my kind of running.  But that probably eliminates all the calorie-burning-ness of the run.  Dang it.

And the last thing (of the mention-worthy things) that I did today, was make this fantastic corn salad.  Except I forgot to add the tomatoes (doh) and I left out the cilantro and used lemon juice instead of lime.  These are the things that happen when you don't take out all of the ingredients beforehand (or so my mother tells me).  Eh, cilantro.

(Also, although I associate this recipe with my mom, it's apparently Paula Deen's recipe)

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups cooked corn, fresh or frozen
  • 1 avocado, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 cup finely diced red onion

Dressing:

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

(I like fresh corn, so I used two cobs of it.  I brought a big pot of water to boil, added the corn, then let it cook covered for 3-4 minutes.)

Combine the corn, avocado, tomatoes and onion in a large glass bowl. Mix together the dressing ingredients in another bowl, pour over the salad, and gently toss to mix.
     
It would be (and will be tomorrow) so much pretty with the tomatoes in there.  Just imagine a splash of red. ;)



Delicious- and quick to make!





No comments:

Post a Comment